The Role and Benefits of Family Dentistry
A family dentist is a specialist trained to address all oral health issues at different stages of life. The dental needs of a child are different compared to that of an adult. These professionals can perform treatment procedures for every family member. This saves you from paying a visit to two different dentists, one for the children and another for the adults.
Merrimack Valley Dental Care is an indulgent family dental clinic, that assures to give all your family members comprehensive dental care. Book with us today.
Services performed by dental specialists
- Teeth cleaning – This is an oral hygiene routine that involves removing stains from teeth with the aim of preventing cavities. Regular brushing does not remove plaque or tartar deposits, thus making dental cleaning important in maintaining clean, healthy teeth.
- Dental implants – These are metal frames surgically positioned beneath the gums. They allow the mounting of teeth replacements. Dental implants provide artificial teeth with support. They are also used to hold bridges and dentures in your mouth.
- Cosmetic surgery – This refers to all dental works performed for the sole purpose of improving teeth appearance. It focuses on polishing dental aesthetics in terms of color, size, shape, position, and alignment.
- Root canal – This treatment procedure is an alternative to tooth extraction. It tries to repair extensive tooth decay or infection. The process involves removing the pulp and the nerve endings inside the infected tooth. The cavity is then cleaned thoroughly, and fillings are used to fill the cavity.
- Fluoride treatments – Fluoride is a mineral that helps in rebuilding the enamel and reversing signs of decay by replenishing back the calcium and phosphate lost. This lowers the chances of cavity formation. It also offers teeth protection to people with weak enamel, crowns, or dry mouth.
- Gum disease treatment – Red, swollen, or bleeding gums are signs of gum disease. Gingivitis is caused by the mixing of saliva, bacteria, and food debris. The mixture forms plaque which sticks on the teeth’s surface. If the plaque is not cleaned out, it will build up to form tartar, which irritates the gums.
What Role Do Family Dentists Play in Promoting Good Dental Health?
- Detect dental problems
Regular check-ups make it easy to detect dental issues such as malocclusion and jaw irregularity. Dental examinations, X-rays, and computer modeling are used to predict oral problems.
Aside from protecting your teeth against decay by applying fluoride, a family dentist will advise you and your family on measures to take to avoid general dental problems. He or she will also answer your questions on oral health.
Family dental specialists offer restorative procedures for treating problems such as overcrowding, tooth misalignment, underbite, overbite, and gum diseases.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Family Dentist
- Qualifications and job experience – Dentists with more years of practice are more likely to provide exceptional services compared to the less experienced. This is increases the chances of successful treatment procedures.
- Patients reviews – Past and current reviews give insights on other patients’ experience under the dental practices performed by the dentist. Today’s technology provides you with platforms for research like Google, where the reviews are posted online.
- Services offered – The majority of the dental clinics offer few dental services. You need to find a practitioner who provides a variety of services to benefit your family.
Benefits of Family Dental Care
- One of the main advantages of family dental care is that it saves you time and the cost of visiting different dental clinics for your family’s regular oral check-ups. All you have to do is adopt this service, and your entire household will receive dental services in one clinic.
- Second, you get to enjoy a variety of services in one place. Practitioners in the field are trained to correct various oral health issues and cosmetic needs such as implants, veneers, or braces.
- Third, if your family has a particular oral health issue, you can always get someone who is equipped with experience and expertise in the field.
- Last but not least, this treatment routine is adjustable to make it suit your family’s lifestyle. Nashua Dentists consult with clients before scheduling appointment dates in order to make them more convenient.